Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Called to serve

I have chosen to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! I'm a Mormon. I  know it, I love it. I live it! There is nothing in this life that has brought me more happiness, comfort, light, and gratification than the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know I am truly blessed to be apart of this church. I don't know how I got so lucky to be born into it but I couldn't be more grateful. The church has given me a family that I know I can be with for eternity. It has blessed me with answers to questions in my life and given me the gift of the Holy Ghost to be my constant companion as long as I am worthy of it. It has blessed me with the most amazing friends and Ward families. It has brought me the purest of joys and truths so I know what I need to do to live with my loving Heavenly Father again. 
I have been so blessed in my life and I want everyone to be as blessed as I am by having the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives! 
Choosing to go on a mission was not an easy decision for me. 
In the October session of general conference our beloved prophet, Thomas S. Monson announced a life changing to a lot of people announcement. Guys were now allowed to serve missions at age 18 and girls at the age of 19. (to read that talk click here) As I sat in my apartment watching all by myself I was in complete shock. I couldn't believe it. A mission was always just a thought to me. I thought, "Maybe if i'm not married and am in a place to serve I will" but thats as far as I went. I never really thought I was truly going to have to make the decision. Going on a mission has not been a lifelong goal of mine. As I sat listening to the prophet speak I then thought "holy cow, I am 19 years old. Am I going to serve a mission?!" 
At this point in my life I was all ready to go to Ecuador. I had already signed up and was counting down the days. I told myself I would make my decision after Ecuador. I figured I would feel like Ecuador was my mission and that was good enough or that it would leave me wanting to do more. 
All while I was in Ecuador I thought, and prayed, and pondered about the decision. Some days I wanted to start my papers that second and other days I wanted nothing of it. I left Ecuador still with no decision. When I came back I knew I really needed to decide. And now I'm here, writing this blog post. 
I cant exactly say I ever got a "full lights completely on". (Have you seen this Mormon message? It's one of my favorites) I had more of a "walking through fog" kind of answer. And it wasn't very easy making this huge of a decision while walking through fog. Luckily I kept on going and found my way. 
I had so many great places to look for light. 

I thought about my time in Ecuador. This was a time where I was not living for myself. I gave everything for those sweet children. As hard as it was I was so happy and felt so fulfilled. I didn't realize it as much then as I do now. I miss that life of giving. Therefore it makes me want to do more. And a mission is just the place for that. 

I have so many great examples in my life. I think about the wonderful Sor Kristina. She was the Nun who worked in the orphanage and became one of my biggest mentors. She has dedicated her whole entire life to giving. If she can give her whole life, I can give 18 months. I think about my loving parents who both served missions. I have been counseled to look for the good choices they have made in their life and pattern my life after them. A mission is what I believe to be one of those. 

I think about how I wouldn't be apart of this church if it weren't for missionaries. My mom was taught the gospel at a young age by missionaries. I am grateful for them teaching her so I was able to grow up in gospel centered home. As I was watching the news today about the tragedy that happened in Boston yesterday they showed a family. The dad had just finished the marathon. The mother, 2 sons and 1 daughter were watching on the sidelines. When the bomb hit the 8 year old son was killed, the young daughter lost a leg, and the mom is in critical condition with injury to her head. This poor families life has been completely shattered. All I could think to myself was someone please tell this family about the gospel! They need to know that they will see their son again. They need to know that their daughter will be resurrected and her body will be made whole and perfect. I feel like the gospel could bring so much comfort to them! (You better believe if I get called to Boston I will hunt these people down). Not just this family but so many more peoples lives could be made better by the gospel. And I want people to know! 

I mainly had to rely on my own faith. I read the story in Alma 32. I had faith. I had a desire to go on a mission. Although I didn't know exactly what would happen, I believed. And my faith grew just like a tiny seed. As it grew slowly but surely through different personal experiences I knew that a mission was the path my life was supposed to take. I know that sacrificing and serving for 18 months was only going to bring me blessings for the rest of my life. 

Satan definitely has done his duty on me. I have had many moments of apprehension. Luckily Heavenly Father is much more powerful and has guided me through. 
I know that this will be no cake walk. I know that a mission is a very tough thing. But I am ready for it. I am ready and willing to sacrifice 18 months of my life to hopefully bless others and share the gospel! I am excited for all the more knowledge I will also gain. 

These are just a few of the many reason why I am choosing at this time to serve a mission. I am excited to serve others while serving my Lord. I am excited for the 18 months I will have ahead of me. 
My call should be here in about 2 weeks... start your guesses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment