Monday, December 16, 2013

Dec 16



Hello Family and Friends!!
I hope you have all had a great week!

Part of our responsibility as Sister Leaders is to go on exchanges with all the other sister companionship's. We switch companions for 24 hours and just make sure they are doing okay and help them with anything they need. Well this week we got to go on exchange with a spanish speaking set of sisters. I went to their area with Hermana Cardenas who is fluent is spanish. I got there at about 5 on Tuesday. We then headed over to our dinner appointment. She told me that the parents don't speak english but the kids do. I basically just talked to the kids the whole time while Hermana Cardenas was talking with the parents. We had a real authentic meal. We had "poor soup" which she explained is called that because its made of the most basic ingredients that everyone could afford and then we had these tostada like things. Homeade tortilla with beans and meat and sour cram and lettuce with parmesan cheese. They were pretty good. We drank some super surgery koolaide drink that reminded me of Ecuador. And then dessert was mexican cookies basically covered in berry yogurt. The parents were so very kind. Even though I couldnt understand anything they said they had the sweetest spirit about them and so much love! It was so wonderful to be apart of their culture. After dinner we went and taught a lesson to a 16 year old girl. She spoke both english and spanish but preferred to talk in spanish. Most of the lesson was taught in spanish but to allow me to chime in they asked me questions in English. At the end of the lesson the member we had brought with us wanted us to sing "I am A Child of God" to her in spanish. I did my best to sing along and am grateful for the spirit that filled the room despite my horrible accent. The next day we did our studies and then knocked on some doors. Hermana Cardenas taught me how to say a prayer in Spanish. After we exchanged back Sister Fullmer and I went to say a prayer before planning. I offered to say it and then did it all in spanish. Sister Fullmer got a good kick out of it and was quite impressed. It was such a wonderful experience to be in the spanish area but left very thankful that I get to share this message in my native tongue of english!!
M surprised us and signed up to feed us dinner this week! We always love going to her house. We had a great dinner with her and her kids and J and his daughter. (Have I told her that her and J are dating? sorry if I left that detail out. And he is doing well. The elders are teaching him and he should be baptized probably the first week of January!) After dinner we all decorated the Christmas tree. It was so much fun! Its people like M and J and their kids that make every single hard day worth it!!
This weekend was party filled! Friday night we had the Falls Lake ward party! They did somethign different this year. They did the spanish tradition called "Los Posados". It is a reenactment of Mary and Joseph getting turned down at all the Inns. We we were told to dress up as people from Bethlemhem. (Which by the way sister fullmer and I had great costumes. So sad I didnt get a picture. But a lady in the ward owns a theatre so she has tons and tons of costumes. She lent us some things and we basically won best dressed award) We then walked to a couple houses that are all in the same neighborhood only to be turned away and told that there was no room at their inn. The last house held the party in the backyard. They had a big bonfire with smores and hot chocolate. It was a great party! Then on Saturdaynight we had the Wake Forest 2nd ward party. This was your more typical ward Christmas party. Dinner of ham and potatoes with a talent show following. It was so much fun also! I have grown to love these wards so much!!

I am so grateful for this Christmas season and cant even put into words how grateful I am for our Savior Jesus Christ. I came across this scripture this week in the bible and love it so much!

John 16:33
 
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me [Jesus Christ] ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of goodcheer; I have overcome the world.

True joy and happiness can only come from our Savior. Let us all remember what He has done for us, especially during this season.

I love you all so much! Thanks for all your support! 
Have a great week! 

Love,
Sister Judd
Ps: Included is first a picture of the most wonderful Wake Forest district! I love these people so much and am honored to serve with them! 
Then second is a Christmas picture of Sister Fullmer and I wishing you all a wonderful Holiday!



\

No comments:

Post a Comment