Saturday, January 5, 2013

Free Friday #2

Friday!!! What a wonderful day of the week. I sure do love working in the orphanage but it is so nice to have a day off. This free friday sure was an adventure! 

We had a plan of going to Telferiqo this Friday. We were gonna sleep in a little bit and leave at 10am. Well we came across a little problem.... 

We all woke up with lice... 
 There was an outbreak of lice at the orphanage. We tried to be very careful and avoid it but lice is a pesky little thing. Spreads like wild fire. 
So now that you all think I am totally dirty and gross.. haha. 

The lice set our plans back a little. It took a while for us to treat our hair and try and disinfect the house. It was an adventure to say the least. I never in my life thought I would have lice but here I am in a third world country with lice in my hair. Pretty gross, oh well. Hopefully its gone now. 















It was very run down looking and old. They only had about 20 workers and then whatever ride had people waiting for it is the ride that that worker would run to to turn on. It was pretty funny to watch. It had basically the same rides that we do in America. We were gonna ride one ride but then decided we didn't want to spend the money. 

Then we continued on to the lift. From the ground the lift didn't look too bad. We were ready to go up. 


After about the first 30 seconds we started freaking out. We didn't know how sturdy this thing was. We didn't know if there were signs saying that it was dangerous but we just couldn't read them cause they were in spanish. We didn't realize what exactly we got ourselves into. We just saw the ground getting farther and farther away. 

We were going up.. 


and up...


and up... 


and up...


Basically it was the longest 8 minutes of our lives. But with the most beautiful views I have ever seen. 
Quito is such a huge and very interesting looking city. I wish the pictures could do justice of how pretty it really was. 


We were happy to finally safely land at the top! 

We were basically at cloud level. Elevation 13,300 feet. I have never been so high up in my life. 

We then went on what we were told would be a 15 minute walk to a horse coral to rent horses to ride. Well at 13,300 feet this was no 15 minute walk. After about 3 steps we couldn't breathe. haha. It was pretty pathetic and funny. We took our time and finally made it to the horses. 

This was no typical American place to go on horse trail ride. The owner handed us a poncho, told us it was $5, and brought us a horse. No waiver signing, instructions, experience required, nothing. We hopped on our horse and off we went. 



To begin with I'm not the biggest fan of riding horses. I just freak myself out and think that it could kill me at any second. So not knowing how trained or what these horses were gonna do quite frankly terrified me. But because of our motto "you are only in Ecuador once" I knew I had to just do it. 


It was just a basic trail ride on top of this mountain. The views were spectacular! The ride lasted for about 30 minutes. My horse did have a few spooks but I didn't get bucked off or hurt so all is well. Definitely glad I did it! 

We then made our hour long slow walk back down to the lift. 


Me and Karissa stopped for one last photo opp. 
The ride down wasn't quite as scary because we knew we were headed down to safety. 
We made it down, caught a taxi, and made it home. 

Then it was time to get ready for Grace's Quinceanera. Grace is the Ecuadorian couple, that runs our company, daughter. She was so kind to invite us volunteers to her party. I was pretty excited. I have never been to a Quinceanera before and what better place then in Ecuador. 
I unfortunately didn't bring my camera with me but it was awesome! There were about 100 people there all for her. She was in a beautiful dress and it was at a beautiful location. There was food, dancing, a slideshow, talks by her parents, candle ceremony, she preformed a dance by herself and with her dad, mariachi band, and lots of fun. It went from 8pm to 2am. Because we had shift the next morning we left at about 11. So sad we had to go but we were exhausted! 
It was such a fun eventful day! 
I love Ecuador!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment