Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March 10



Hello and happy Monday!! 

I have been feeling like my letters home have been super boring lately.. no awesome stories or exciting news. So I decided to pray this week that I would have a good story to tell you all. Well of course it took until Sunday to happen but we experienced a true miracle this week!! 
On Sunday a new record was received into the ward. A lady by the name of P. No one knew anything about her so we were asked to go stop by and introduce ourselves and meet her. We decided to head over after church. 
We get to the door and she opens right up and lets us in. We were also greeted by her 3 young kids.. A(10), L(9) and S(4). We got started talking and she told us that she was baptized 2 years ago when she lived in Texas. She moved to Colorado shortly after but never felt apart of the ward there and fell away. She moved to Garner about a year ago but never figured out where the church was. She told us her wonderful conversion story and that she still believes all the doctrine and they read the Book of Mormon as a family very often. Well she went on to say that last week A told her that he wanted to be baptized. She asked him if he wanted to get baptized in the Mormon church or in the Baptist church where his father attends. He said he didnt know but thought that they should pray about it. Well all week long they had been praying about it and on Sunday we knocked on their door.. It was truly amazing to see their faith and for them to see that we were an answer to their prayers. While we got talking L ran to the back and grabbed his Book or Mormon. He expressed that he wanted to be baptized too. He then asked "will the water be cold or hot?". We are sooo excited to work with this cute family! The Lord answers prayers!! 

I truly wish I could bottle up the craziness that goes on here and send it all to you. Everyday I am just blown away by the things I see and things that people do. The south is truly a different world, I dont even know how to explain it. Lets just say, the rule about no participation in Sacrament meeting has not made it to the Garner ward yet. Brain cells are lacking but they make up for it with the love in their hearts! And I love it! 
We drove past a house this week that was full of lawn decorations. I am telling you full. Over 100. I took a picture and will include it. I wish pictures did more justice. But it is this true southern craziness style that I am talking about. Well a couple days later we had like 10 minutes of spare time before our next appointment. I told Sister Langarica that I wanted to go knock on the door of the crazy lawn decoration house. Because thats what missionaries do, we knock on doors. I just had to know what kind of person lived in that house. Well it turns out to be an old lady who was not interested in the gospel but it was a fun experience.
I wish I could video record every time we tell people that Gladys Knight is coming to town. It has become my favorite thing. People are going crazy! One less active lady we were talking to almost had a seizure. I am not kidding, she was shaking uncontrollably as tears rolled down her face and all she could say was "Gladys?!" I know that miracles will happen at this concert. 
We also had quite the experience in the ghetto this week. This week has been extremely cold and rainy but Saturday turned out to be a beautiful 70 degree day. We went to go visit a less active woman. Well the whole neighborhood decided to be out and partying.  All the guys were leaning on their cars blasting rap music and yelling and hollering, everyone was drinking and smoking, the kids were running around, and the woman were all standing around holding the babies. And of course here two white girl missionaries come driving up in their toyota corolla with a bike rack. All eyes turned on us. We walked up and the woman we were visiting was standing outside. We could tell she felt extremely uncomfortable. We kept talking to her and my sweet companion was not leaving there without sharing a spiritual message. So we pull out of Book of Mormon. There is nothing quite like reading a scripture while hearing the F word blasting every 2 seconds from the music beside you. Missionary work is fun I'm telling you!! 
With all the bad happening in the world today I was reassured that there is still hope for the future. A member took us to Chick-Fil-A for lunch after one of our appointments. It was a downpour of rain this day. We we pull up and grab out purses, I go to open my door and see a worker standing outside my door with an umbrella. He says "I am here to walk you in". All of our mouths dropped. That is true service!! I will always support Chick-Fil-A. 

Well thats all for this week. Garner is an adventure every day! 

Helaman 12:1.. "Yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him." 

Trust in God, Trust in his abilities. He has power to do all things! 

I love you all. Thanks for all your support. 

Love, 
Sister Judd 

No comments:

Post a Comment