Monday, November 24, 2014

nov 24


Helllooo! 

Well this week was another great one! How could it not be? 

So here in the Durham ward we have some ladies who we call our "3 reliables". They do everything and anything for us. From taking us to appointments, driving us around town, picking us up, feeding us, loving us, and are our biggest supporters. Its weird to think that these three ladies who are 60 years of age and above have become my greatest friends here in Durham but they truly have. They are such an inspiration to me. One is a widow, one has a husband who has suffered from Alzheimers for over 10 years and lives in a facility, and one who's husband works away. They haven't had easy lives but they are so strong and have such good wisdom for us. If you haven't gotten the message yet, I love them a whole lot. We decided we needed to do something special for them because I am telling you, they do so much for us! It is weird if we go a day without seeing at least one of them. We had an open day for dinner on Monday so we invited them out to an appreciation dinner. We cooked dinner for them. (Mom you would be proud. I made Sesame chicken, rice, broccoli, and oranges). Then we had dessert and we planned earlier a little Family Home evening for us to all do together. It was so much fun! I love the people of North Carolina!!

Winter definitely hit this week! We didnt have the car so we had to bike it the freezing cold. Let me tell you, that is not easy! But we survived and it is a crisp 70 degrees today and we are stoked! 

We had interviews this week!! With Sister Turley going home next week I knew changes were going to be made. I found out I am going to be training! After spending practically my whole mission as a sister leader I am excited for the chance I have now to train a brand new missionary for my last 2 transfers. I am a little bit nervous but I know it will be great! I have already started praying for the both of us and I hope she is enjoying her time in the MTC right now! 

I went on exchanges this week to the Durham 1st ward. It was so much fun! It made me realize how blessed I am to be able to meet people from all walks of life all day everyday. 
We started out the day teaching a lady who didnt quite receive all the lessons she needed on personal hygiene. She was wearing dirty clothes, teeth or hair hadn't been brushed in days and maybe weeks, the house had no carpet and bugs were crawling all over the place. Spider webs covered most of her belongings. But she had the sweetest heart. We then taught a family who moved here not too long ago from Africa. Their big loving family was squeezed into a small apartment. The kids were running around and cooking dinner while mom was working her janitorial job at Duke. They had a strong desire to learn more about God and the whole family was celebrating that the 17yr old girl had gotten her first job that day at McDonalds. They were trying their best to live their life the best way they could. We then went to a lady who was living in government housing. She had spent the day in court fighting her baby daddy for child support because he just got out of jail. She does her best to support her 2 kids working 20 hours a week at McDonalds. Her son was getting baptized on Saturday and they were so happy for him. Later, as we were walking down the street  a man came up to us. We quickly learned that he was partly deaf and couldnt really talk. He was so excited to see us and had the biggest smile on his face as he tried to tell us that he used to meet with missionaries before. We got his information and then he gave me the biggest hug. (as missionaries, we really arent supposed to hug people of the opposite sex so this moment was a little awkward for me but he was so happy I just couldnt help but be too). And then we spent the evening with wonderful young moms and wives who are doing their best to support their husbands who are in law, business, or medical school at Duke. Can I just say it again, I love the people of North Carolina!

We had the greatest lesson with M this week!! We were able to have it in a members home. The couple we were with said exactly what he needed to hear. M accepted to be baptized on December 27th! And he came to church yesterday!! One of the best feelings ever is seeing an investigator walk in the doors to the church building on Sunday morning! We are excited about his progression thus far! 

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving this week and find  much to be grateful for!! 
I am grateful for this time I have to be a missionary and to share what brings me joy with others! 

I love you all!

Sister Judd

No comments:

Post a Comment